Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 2

6-10-08
The flight to Paris was bumpy and delayed. Luckily we had two seats in the back of the plane all to ourselves and I was able to catnap the whole way around the world. It's hard to believe that we landed in Paris just this morning. After getting through immigration we collected our luggage and jumped into a taxi to Paris and the Hotel Armstrong.

My first impression of France was on the highway. There were old buildings and the typical graffitied walls. The lanes were significantly narrower and it doesn't seem that high gas prices deter many from driving. Our driver was nice and dropped us at our hotel for the bargain rate of 38 Euros.

Although we were early checking in they had a double non smoking room on the 5th floor. The penthouse if you will. The room is small but clean with a clean bathroom. Luke's only complaint is that there is no shower curtain. The best part is the view of rooftops and other penthouses, and rooftop gardens. If I lived in Paris I would definitely live on the top floor with a balcony garden. I've become a bit obsessed with the little balconies and shuttered windows everyone here has. Voir is a French word after all, and if you know me you know how I love to look into other people's windows. The view from our room affords me that opportunity, I only wish I had brought my opera glasses.

We took a short nap and shower and before long were trying to figure out the metro into downtown Paris. We managed to mangle the language a bit, but still came out with a pack of 10 metro passes. I also managed to jam myself into the door of a leaving train, which was embarrassing, but entirely humorous to us both. Finding the correct train took a bit of work too as there were 2 of the same trains going to the same place, but only one of them left at a time. It wasn't until a nice man who flashed his metro uniform, informed us of the blue lights that indicate the active trains, that we were finally on our way. We even managed to change trains.

Our first stop was Notre Dame. Big church, lots of details, loads of people, and the Pope will be visiting in September. However, there was no entry. I wasn't super impressed, but I was getting hungry.

We sat outside a cafe on a busy street and order 2 plat du jours and water non gasses. We didn't know what we would get, but it was bound to be tasty. Indeed, the food was good and it was nice to know that we wouldn't starve. We received steaming hot bowls of pork curry on rice and a basket of crusty bread. Yum! We finished it all. Finally full and no longer cranky I was now able to notice everything happening around me. Some fellow customers disputing over one's right to smoke because he was out on the patio, but others complaining because his smoke was drifting right over their table inside (but only 2 feet away), old post cards and photos for sale along the Seine, and fountains flowing past groups of school children wearing red caps and waving French flags. Our server asked if we would like anything else and Luke and I both ordered Cappuccinos. It was love at first sip and I decided right then and there that I thoroughly enjoyed Paris.

Satiated and in good spirits we walked to the Louve, which was closed. But who needs to go into a museum when the architecture, gardens, and statues and breath-taking and EVERYWHERE. I got my fill of photography in the park and all along our walk. I might also add that I have never had so much fun people watching (and I'm a people watcher). All along our walk we were spotting the Eiffel Tower far in the distance as we wound our way through Paris' small, apartment lined streets. Balconies filled with flowers and the Seine flowing through everything made me happy to be sharing this trip with Luke.

Then, past palaces, parks, statues, gold crusted bridges, people, and crazy drivers, there was the Eiffel Tower. Tall and brown, towering above everything. We didn't take the trip to the top, but we sat next to the river and reflected on the long day with the Tower behind us.Heading back to the hotel on the metro an accordion player burst into song and we smiled the whole way. We ended the day with Kabobs.

Overall, Paris has impressed me with many new sights and sounds. People lounging in parks, racing through streets in mini cars, surrounded by scenery that in many parts of the world would be in a museum. Paris is also LOUD, has lots of graffiti, and often smells of urine. It's been an adventure, no doubt, and it's only the first day here. But the people are friendly and laugh off any language difficulties we seem to have, the food is good and we have more adventures tomorrow.
Bon soir,
Mrs. Alton

8 comments:

Sarah said...

You guys sound like you're having a great time so far. I can't wait to read your next entry. It's almost like Globe Trekker!

Vicky said...

Congratulations Megan and Luke! I was in Paris last year and loved Sainte Chapelle with its gorgeous stained glass windows. You might even catch a concert there. Another fun trip is Pere Lachaise Cemetery, with its famous dead people. And, Giverny, a train ride to the north of Paris, home of Monet and his gardens. Oh la la! Bon voyage! Vicky

Don't Worry Be Hambly said...

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!

Congratulations, Megan and Luke!

Love to you.
--Brynn

mara said...

Megan - your folks were kind enough to forward us this link. Congratulations to you both on your wedding. I've never been to Paris so I'm living through your words and photo's. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. (I've never "blogged" - hope i'm doing it right??)
Joe & Mara Palandrani
105 Hollister

DannysDogs said...

more pictures



Danny

Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig said...

Wedding Pictures!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/elroelro/
MeganAndLukeSWedding

(make sure you highlight the whole web address)

Ciao!

Chelsea said...

Hmmm...you too busy being newlyweds (insert dirty face here) to update?