Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 3

This morning got off to a bumpy start. Luke and I slept until 10am, but had set our clock an hour off so we thought it was 9am. No biggy except when we started eating breakfast 30 minutes past the cut off, the cook was none to happy about it and started mumbling in French under her breath. There is nothing worse than knowing you're being talked about in a language that you don't understand. I did my best smile/merci and bowed with my hands in a prayer position as if begging for mercy. She relented and told us to EAT! We scarfed down food and were going to get bread from the boulangerie, but it was closed. Who knows why, probably because it's Wednesday.

Then we made our way to the train station, which is connected by the metro. The original plan had been to visit Giverney (Monet's gardens) but we changed those plans due to our late rising. While at the station we decided to purchase tickets to Avignon and Caen. Of course we didn't get the English speaking teller, but a very friendly smiley woman who claimed not to speak English. Her English was way better than both Luke's and my French put together. She did say something to the affect that there was no metro on Monday to connect our trains from Paris to Caen and that we would have to take the bus, but Luke says that can't be. I guess we'll see what happens on Monday (I'll let you know). I was glad to have the tickets taken care of and the knots in my stomach started to loosen. Which must mean we needed food.

We found a cafe, the Sarah Bernhardt Cafe, and ordered more food and cappuccinos. Luke's spirits were lifted by the "happy juice" and for the rest of the day he made up songs in French using his limited vocabulary and some made up words too. I love to see him so happy. I, however, was feeling jet lagged and grumpy. We decided to visit the Musee d'Orsay. More frickin' walking.

This time we crossed a pedestrian bridge and something interesting happened. As we walked down some stairs a young man appeared to find a ring on the ground. He gestured that it was too big and gave it to us. He then asked for money in return. I'm so naive! I gave it to him urging him to trade it for money and then another American man walked by telling us it was a fake. Later, Luke found a section on scams, low and behold, the "found ring" was in the travel guide.

We finally made our way into the museum, which was a converted train station. The Musee d'Orsay starts where the Louve leaves off. It is mostly impressionist paintings and sculptures, with a few beginning photographs. Now, I'm not one for museums, but this one was a good one because I am most familiar with impressionist art. Monet being one of my favorites growing up. Here we got to see the superstars of impressionist art: Monet, Degas, VanGogh, Renoir. If I wasn't going to see Monet's garden, it was just as good to see his original works of art. They were every bit as lovely as I expected and it validated all those "boring" art lessons given by art docents (my mother being one of them) back in elementary school.

Luke appreciated the way impressionists are able to create light and shadow. I enjoyed VanGogh more than ever. His style is almost cartoonish, and I liked his landscapes best. Crooked houses and wavy trees. Luke gave me an art lesson: Impressionist art became popular when photography was introduced, therefore making art for art's sake. The museum also had a small collection of early photography. Viewing photos after seeing the impressionists, I gained and even better appreciation for the paintings. Photos captures views to perfection. There is something to be said for the perspective of the artist. Le toilettes in museums are vastly nicer than any others in Paris too.

Off we went again for more sight seeing. We attempted to see the Arc de Triumph, but I was ready for nap. We managed to miss the stop on the metro, The Grand Arch is not the Arc de Triumph for future reference. The Grand Arch is a large white building in the same shape as the Arc de Triumph and about 1/2 mile up the road, only it is a business building in the business district.

This district is modern and set apart from the historic part of Paris in order to preserve the charm. Here there were rollerbladers flying down metro poles and people in suits all clickity clacking with great intensity. There was a tussle among the skaters and everyone thought there would be a fight. But alas, they only threw daggers with their eyes.

The metro was packed and warm on our way back. We ate at McDonald's (something I have forbidden back in the states). The decor was the nicest I'd seen at any McD's. We went back to the hotel and I attempted to make calls to our French hosts, which didn't work out. There is French person somewhere who got a voicemail with all our itinerary and best wishes. 10:45pm was my turn in time and Luke protested because it was still light outside. Tomorrow we take a 9:46 train to Avignon to visit David and his family.

No comments: