Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 7

Woke up and hung out with David and Yael in the house. We had 4 computers going at once. There was French Canadian TV on and David informed me that Canadian French is sometimes so different that the French can't understand it. Maybe like Scottish is to English? Canadians claim to speak the more pure French language.

After a long lazy morning, Luke and I headed to the Pont du Gard. The second tallest Roman structure still standing in France. It was 45 minutes aways and we found it without a map and some directions from David. Driving in France is pretty easy. The day was cloudy as we made our way through the countryside. We arrived around the same time as tour buses with Germans and Americans. We picked up some glace and followed the masses to the aqua duct.

The park was free and appeared to be a popular place to walk dogs. It was also the only river we have seen people swimming in. The Pont du Gard was quite large and impressive. Especially since there is no mortar holding the stones together, just the sheer force of perfectly cut rock on rock.

We found our way back to the house, although we took a different route home. As soon as we arrived Luke and I started making diner. We were making burritos with chocolate chip cookies. Luckily, Anne had plenty of spices and goodies, so when I forgot rice at the store we used some of hers and spiced it up. We served it all French style except we had chips and salsa as an appetizer, salad, then the burritos and finally milk and cookies. I was under a bit of pressure as no one had ever had burritos before. They were excited to assemble their own and it was all a great hit. Everyone had 2.

We sat for awhile around the table and talked of nothing in particular. It is so nice and I don't want to leave tomorrow. The French country lifestyle suits me. It's mellow, full of good food, great people, and a beautiful climate. Sadly we folded our clean laundry and packed our backs in preparation for our travel day.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Wow!!

Great travelogue Megan. I think travel writing may just be that perfect occupation for you. Thanks for the time and detail you put into your descriptions.

I know I speak for everyone when I say, more, more, and yes, more!

I love you